Ice Lolly Nail Art: A Few Of Your Childhood Favourites

Hi guys! Well I've been suffering with the WORST nail artist's block (it's a real thing, honest) recently. Ever since I did my cocktail nails I've been racking my brains for something new and exciting. I love recreating old favourites, and I'll never turn my nose up at a good old leopard print design or a floral mani, but sometimes it's nice to try something totally different. Anyway, I had a little moan over on my Instagram account, and quite a few suggestions were made. I decided to go with the ice lolly manicure that my friend suggested, and she proceeded to list what I should include (as well as explaining to me what a Nobbly Bobbly is!) After quite a bit of googling and sketching, I settled for five different lollies on my nails: the infamous Nobbly Bobby, a Fruit Pastille lolly, a Fab, a Twister, and finally my childhood favourite - a Mint Feast.


The equipment:

Jacava 'Mont Blanc'*
Models Own 'Bronze Rage'
Models Own 'Pastel Pink'
Models Own 'Peach Sherbet'
Models Own 'Fuzzy Peach'
Models Own 'Nude Beige
Sinful Colors 'Pistache'
Sinful Colors 'Unicorn'
W7 'Neon Green'
W7 'Purple'
Rimmel 'Azure'
Barry M 'Bright Yellow'
Barry M 'Shocking Pink'
e.l.f. 'Smokin Hot'
Unlabelled dark brown (from an old gift set)
Essie 'Matte About You'
Essie 'Good To Go'
Fine nail art paint brush
Small dotting tool
As always, I started out with my bases. I used 'Bronze Rage' on my thumb, 'Bright Yellow' on my index finger, 'Mont Blanc' on my middle finger, 'Unicorn' on my ring finger, and an old bottle of dark brown/purple on my little finger. 
Erghhh these look so disgusting at this point. Oh well, I always like to include every step! I started adding a few block base colours, including the pink ice-cream inside of the Nobbly Bobbly (I wanted to make it look like someone had just bitten into it). I also started adding stripes to the Fruit Pastille Lolly and the Fab. I did the same 'bitten' piece on the Mint Feast, using pale green.
For the Nobbly Bobbly I used a little dotting tool, and applied dots in different colours randomly. I also added dark chocolate to the corner, and highlighted the pink ice-cream with white.
I finished off the details on the other fingers, adding more stripes to the Fruit Pastille lolly (from top to bottom: 'Smokin Hot', 'Neon Green', 'Fuzzy Peach' and 'Purple'), and sprinkles to the Fab. I used a fine paint brush to achieve this effect, carefully drawing small lines in a variety of colours. For the Twister, I used Barry M 'Shocking Pink' to represent the inside, and added curved lines of 'Pistache'. I kind of wish I'd done the same curved effect for the Fruit Pastille lolly, as it probably would have looked much more effective. For the Mint Feast, I used a mixture of white, 'Nude Beige' and 'Bronze Rage' for the nuts. It's probably the worst of the bunch, but I used to absolutely adore that ice-cream, so it was nice to include it.
I decided to add a matte top coat to my nails, but I instantly regretted it. It looks very neat and tidy, and emphasises the contrast of colour, but it just didn't seem right to me. (By the way, this is Essie 'Matte About You' and I wholeheartedly recommend it!) Matte always looks lovely with bright colours, but I realised that a shiny finish would represent the wet, shininess of ice-lollies. Oh well, it was easily resolved!
I whipped out my favourite top coat, Essie 'Good To Go', and painted it on top of my manicure. I really think it makes a difference, especially with the Fab and the Twister, which look a bit more 3D. What do you think? Have I recreated any of your childhood favourites? The Nobbly Bobbly is definitely my favourite, but I think as a combination they all look really effective. It's just a shame I didn't 'curve' my Fruit Pastille lolly... I shall make sure I remember to next time!

0 comments: