Cocktail Nails: Tipples on Your Fingertips

 
Hi everyone! My manicure today was inspired by one of my favourite things... Cocktails! I love cocktails because not only do they taste amazing, but they look amazing too. So much care is taken in the preparation, and they're always really bright and pretty and packed with fruit and straws and umbrellas and what-not. Anyway, I decided to recreate some of the most popular cocktails on my nails - Sex on the Beach (yes, I said sex on my blog), Appletini (for all the Scrubs fans out there!), Raspberry/Strawberry Daiquiri, Blue Lagoon, and a Lemon Drop. Unfortunately I had neither the time nor the patience to create a step-by-step tutorial, but I've still included lots of photos and a few explanations.



The equipment:

Jacava 'Mont Blanc'*
Jacava 'Chillax'*
Models Own 'Utopia'
Models Own 'Pastel Pink'
Models Own 'Fuzzy Peach'
e.l.f. 'Mango Madness'
e.l.f. 'Dream Maker'
Barry M 'Bright Yellow'
Barry M 'Shocking Pink'
Basic red
W7 'Neon Green'
No. 7 'Totally Teal'
L'Oreal 'Perle de Jade'
Sinful Colors 'Unicorn'
Models Own black nail art pen
Fine nail art paint brush

I used Jacava 'Mont Blanc'* for the base of my manicure, as I wanted to ensure that the cocktails stood out. I also chose to avoid black outlines, as sometimes it can be too heavy and ruin the final effect. Instead, I stuck to bright colours and carefully painted them on with my paint brush. For my Sex on the Beach thumb nail, I used e.l.f. 'Mango Madness' for the bottom of the drink and blended up into Barry M 'Bright Yellow'. Then I added a strawberry for garnish, and two straws using the striping brush end of my black nail art pen.
I used W7 'Neon Green' blending into Sinful Colors 'Unicorn' for the Appletini, then added cherries on cocktail sticks and a straw. For the Daiquiri, I blended red into Models Own 'Pastel Pink', and added a kiwi for garnish. I used Jacava 'Chillax'* for the Blue Lagoon, and blended it up into L'Oreal 'Perle de Jade', and along with a little cherry I painted a pink and yellow cocktail umbrella. Finally, for the Lemon Drop, I blended Models Own 'Fuzzy Peach' into 'Unicorn' again, and then added an orange slice. For the stems of the glasses I painted thin strips of Models Own 'Utopia', and left the middle bit white so it looks shiny.
I decided to create pieces of ice (not really visible in this photo, ooops) using e.l.f. 'Dream Maker', and painted it on the tops of the cocktails before separately applying the larger bits of glitter. This adds a little bit of sparkle to the manicure!
You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to photograph nails while holding a wine glass. This is my poor effort at a 'cocktail' (it's actually cranberry juice). But imagine how cool the photo would be if it was an actual, professional cocktail? Or even the same cocktail that's on my nail? Oh well, the thought was there...
Anyway, here's another photo of the full set. I'm glad I decided to use a mixture of colours, as it makes it all the more interesting. I'm also pleased I managed to sneak a little kiwi into the design, as it's the simplest but most effective fruit in nail art! I'd love to know what you think of my cocktail nails, so just drop a comment below :)

0 comments: