Book Nook

Vol. 2

(You can read Vol. 1 here.)

It's that time again! Time to show what books I will be reading in the coming weeks. I went a little crazy this time. I ordered a couple of books from a different library, and they came in sooner than I expected. So I have a lot of reading to do.

First is Cinnamon Roll Murder, by Joanne Fluke.
Cinnamon Roll Murder.
I mentioned reading one of her books, Red Velvet Cupcake Murder, last post. I enjoyed it, so I decided to try out another one of her novels. This one is also all about baking and murder. Two things you never expect to work so well together. I actually already finished this one, but I'll save my review until my next Book Nook post.

Murder in Our Midst.
This one is so old it doesn't even have a dust jacket anymore! I have no clue what it's about. I only know it's an Agatha Christie murder mystery.-You may have noticed by now that I enjoy a good murder mystery.- I actually like that I don't know the plot, it's a mystery in itself. Plus, it's Agatha Christie! She's never made a book I didn't like. -Except when Hercule Poirot died in Curtain, that was depressing. Though, I still loved that book.-
Murder at Hazelmoor.
Another Agatha Christie murder mystery! I just can't help myself, I love her! This one's about murder, and possibly ghosts if the dust jacket is to be believed.
Bryant and May Off the Rails.
This is one of the books I special ordered. I've read two other Christopher Fowler Bryant & May novels, and really loved them, so I needed to read more of them. Again, it involves murders and mysterys-I may have a problem.-, but it also is really funny. If you enjoy more macabre humor, you'll like these novels.
The Victoria Vanishes.
This is the other book I special ordered. It is also a Christopher Fowler novel, also involving his characters Bryant & May. They run a police unit in England, specializing in unusual and peculiar crimes. And yes, you guessed it, Murders. Oh my god, I need to read some nice, sweet, peaceful novels soon, or I might as well become a criminologist at this point!

Book Nook Vol. 1 Reviews

To learn more about these novels, check out Vol. 1 here.
I am by no means a book critic. But I still wanted to share my opinions on the other books I've read recently. I figure I'll write a brief synopsis of my opinions, and then rate them 1-5.

Red Velvet Cupcake Murder, By Joanne Fluke.
This was my first time reading her work. I really liked the characters, they were funny and believable. And the story was interesting and had a satisfying ending. I also loved the included recipes for everything baked by the main characters. The only grievance was with some of the writing. It felt a bit stilted at times, and some of the things the characters said were either way too repetitive, or just not believable as real conversations. Because of this I sometimes was taken out of the story. Luckily, this didn't happen that often, so I still enjoyed it. 3-5.

Miss Marple the Complete Short Stories by Agatha Christie.
Miss Marple? Check. Agatha Christie? Check. I'm happy.
There were a few stories I had already read, but that's the great thing about her writing, most stories can be re-read and still be enjoyable. 4-5

The Mirror Cracked by Agatha Christie.
Another Miss Marple mystery. I was afraid I had already read it, and discovered I indeed had. But, as I just mentioned, most of her novels are so enjoyable that I can read them multiple times. That is what I look for when I decide I want to buy one of the novels I borrow. I would buy this novel, and probably will. 4-5.

Thanks for reading!
What books are you reading? Would you read any of these novels? 

Brittany




0 comments: