My Nail Polish Storage Methods: Acrylic Racks, Vanity Cases & Fairy Lights!


Hi guys! For the past few months I've contemplated sharing a nail polish storage post, but have never quite plucked up the courage to snap away at (or tidy) my 'dressing room' (if you follow me on Instagram or Twitter, you've probably had a few sneak peeks at my lovely little space). Finally, the time has come! Recently, with my Master's degree finishing and my schedule opening up a considerable amount, I've had much more time to spend organising. Simultaneously, my polish collection has grown a lot, so I've had to enlist alternative storage methods. About a year ago, every single nail product I owned fit neatly into a cute little box. It then spread into a larger art box, and then overflowed into a plastic drawer unit. I soon realised that I needed to think outside the box (excuse the pun), and began my hunt for better storage. The requirements? It must be pretty, functional, space-saving, and most importantly, it had to showcase all my little bottles of loveliness!

I know that a lot of nail art bloggers turn to Ikea's Helmer unit to store their polishes. I think it's a good choice, as it's purse friendly and great for organisation. However, my nail polishes are all little show-offs, and would absolutely hate to be tucked away in drawers. I began researching alternative storage methods, and came across this acrylic display stand. I ordered two, both of which hold around 30 polishes each. I use these stands to store my W7, Jacava, Barry M, Fearne, Rimmel, Essie, L'Oreal, Models Own and Sinful Colors polishes. They both sit on my desk-cum-dressingtable, which I got from good old Ikea. It's kind of like this one, except without the storage part on top.




I was so pleased when the racks arrived, I decided to jump back onto Amazon and order another. This time, I ordered a five tier stand, meaning that I now had space to store around 100 polishes altogether. I use this rack to store a few 'odds and ends', along with my beloved OPI minis and nail art pens. It sits on top of this storage unit from Argos, which provides a good surface. I use the top drawer for all of my false nail sets and nail files (the rest of the unit is dedicated to other beauty products).





The majority of my tools and other equipment have their own section in my large pink vanity case. Since I received it as a gift, I can't provide the exact link, but it's very much like this large, lockable vanity case. The multiple sections mean I can keep everything organised, and my tiny bits-and-bobs like gems and glitter don't get lost amongst the larger items.




The most recent addition to my nail polish storage is a mirrored cabinet. My better half is a joiner and works on a lot of shop fits, so there's often a lot of furniture that would otherwise end up in the skip. He spotted this cabinet and knew it would be perfect for my dressing room, and so saved it from its dreadful fate! Again, I can't provide an accurate link for obvious reasons, but it's pretty similar to this mirrored cabinet from Ikea. We planned on finding some light fixings to hang over the top, but I decided I wanted it to be super girly, so grabbed these fairy lights from Wilko's instead. I store my e.l.f., No. 7 and a few random polishes on the glass shelves inside, along with my favourite brushes which sit inside a pretty little pot (it's supposed to be a candle holder, but it works perfectly for storing tiny paintbrushes!)




I got all of these items over the course of a few months, so although altogether it might seem expensive, the cost was very much spread, along with a couple of items being second-hand or gifts. In my opinion, when hunting for any kind of storage, whether it's for nail polish, makeup, jewellery or clothes, you really need to assess the sort of space you're working with. You also need to be well aware of your budget, and be willing to hunt! For some nail polish addicts, Ikea's Helmer is the perfect solution, but if you're anything like me, the best bet is to invest in some acrylic storage stands or a rack like this

How do you store your nail polish? Let me know, I'm exceedingly nosy!

0 comments: