Disney Nail Art: Pocahontas


Hi everyone! Today I am super duper excited about my manicure, for two reasons. First, it's the third instalment of the Polish Party's monthly collaboration, with the theme of Disney. Secondly, this is my very first attempt at portrait nail art, which is something I've always been very scared of. I follow several amazing nail artists on Instagram who regularly post the most incredible, detailed portraits of characters. I've always envied their abilities to make a person look 'real' with the use of nail polish and a paint brush, and although I'm no where near their standards yet, I feel like my Pocahontas design is a few steps closer to their amazingness! 

The equipment:

Barry M Limited Edition 'Yellow'
Barry M 'Shocking Pink'
Barry M 'Papaya'
Barry M 'Greenberry'
Barry M 'Grey'
Models Own 'Blueberry Muffin'
Models Own 'Feeling Blue'
Butter London 'Molly Coddled'
W7 'Purple'
Sinful Colors 'Black On Black'
Sinful Colors 'Snow Me White'
Seventeen 'Forever'
e.l.f. 'Mango Madness'
Models Own black nail art pen
Essie 'Good To Go'
Medium nail art paint brush
Fine nail art paint brush
Cotton buds
Acetone


Yep, this mani required A LOT of equipment. To start with, I applied my bases. I applied two coats of Barry M's bright yellow to my ring finger and thumb nails, and then used 'Blueberry Muffin' for my other nails. Once dry, I followed The Nailasaurus's Nimbus Nail Art Tutorial for my blue nails. After dipping a cotton bud in acetone, I used 'Feeling Blue' and 'Molly Coddled' to form a pretty, cloudy base. When I was happy with the result, I topped it off with 'Good To Go', as I wanted my nails to be totally dry before adding the rest of the details.


My yellow nails were the bases for the portraits. I've tried raccoon nail art before, so felt a bit more confident about painting Meeko. I used white, grey and black polish, and mixed them together to achieve a few different shades. I used a medium paint brush for the base colours, and a much finer one for all of the tiny details. Unfortunately, the brightness of the polish beneath seemed to tinge the design yellow, so I probably should have used a paler colour for these bases. Never mind!


Pocahontas was painted using 'Forever', 'Black On Black' and 'Snow Me White'. Again, I mixed the colours for different sections. I used 'Mango Madness' for her lips (that's also the colour of Meeko's mouth). I then added her necklace using 'Greenberry'. Finally, I added a combination of leaves, dots and dashes for the 'wind'. Everything was then topped off with 'Good To Go'. What do you think? 


Make sure you check out the rest of the Polish Party girls' Disney manicures!




0 comments: