Stripes & Floral Combo Nails


Hey guys! Today I bring you a tutorial for a manicure that stemmed from a brand new outfit I've just bought. I created this design for a variety of reasons, including seeing Lacqueerisa's 'Little Poppies' which made me desperate to try a new floral mani. And then when my gorgeous outfit from Boohoo arrived, it seemed the perfect source of inspiration to create a funky floral design!

*Images sourced via boohoo.com

This is the outfit that I bought. The top is only £8 and is a really on-trend 'bardot' style - it's cropped, but not TOO short, and has a cute off-the-shoulder feature. If you're searching for the perfect crop-top that doesn't show off too much skin, then you can find it here! When I ordered the skirt it was £10, but now it's only £8 in the sale. It fits like a glove and the fabric is lovely and soft, so if you are currently looking for a new maxi, then I highly recommend this one :) It can be found here!

Anyway, let's get started with the tutorial! As always, here's a list of the stuff I used...


The equipment:

W7 'Black'
Models Own 'Bare Beauty'
Natural Collection 'White'
Models Own 'Pastel Pink'
Barry M 'Shocking Pink'
W7 'Neon Green'
Missguided 'Misslead'
Rio silver/gold nail art pen
Striping tape
Fine nail art paint brush
Essie 'Matte About You'
So I started out with my bases, applying black to my thumb nail, middle finger nail and little finger nail. On the other two I used Models Own 'Bare Beauty', which is the closest shade I have to skin tone, and is supposed to represent the hint of belly that is on show in my top!
Next, using my fine nail art paint brush and white varnish, I painted on the bases of flowers. I thought it best to do it in white prior to adding colour, as even the most opaque of varnishes struggle on top of a black base!
Then I used Models Own 'Pastel Pink' for the flower petals, and then tried to blend in Barry M 'Shocking Pink' in the centre of the flower. For the leaves, I used W7 'Neon Green', which took quite a few coats to achieve a decent finish as W7 polishes are quite transparent and have a very loose consistency.
I neatened up the edges of the flowers and leaves with black polish, then topped the leaves with Missguided 'Misslead' (shimmery yellow), and while I waited for them to dry I applied striping tape to my flesh-coloured nails. I made sure to space it out so that all sections were the same size.
I painted in the black sections on the taped nails, and while they dried I outlined the floral design with a Rio nail art pen. The pen is a sort of gold-ish silver, and I think it really completes the design as well as adding a bit of shimmer! When my striped nails were dry, I removed the tape carefully. Initially my manicure had a shiny finish, but I decided to top them off with Essie 'Matte About You', as you can see in the first picture. I think the mattified effect is especially effective on the striped nails, and I think I'll definitely do a full mani of this in the future!
So here are my nails along with my outfit! As you can see, the crop top only reveals a centimetre or two of my waist, which ensures that it's comfortable to wear as well as being on-trend. I really love this manicure - I've never 'mixed and matched' before, and I think it's definitely something I'll try again! What do you think?

0 comments: