7 Deadly Sins - Wrath






































Hi guys :) This is my final manicure for my self-assigned theme of the Seven Deadly Sins. Today it's 'Wrath', and I really struggled to come up with a design to represent anger. Luckily, I'd just researched a few water spotting tutorials, and decided that combining red, orange and yellow would create a lovely fiery background. So, I set to work with water spotting (I made a BIG mess...), and once they were complete, my better half suggested a volcano design. I suppose volcanoes are angry in terms of natural disasters, so I'm not straying too far from the actual sin. Anyway, here's the tutorial...
The equipment:

Barry M Limited Edition 'Yellow'
Models Own 'Fuzzy Peach'
Classic red
W7 'Black'
Fine nail art paint brush
A plastic cup
Water
Hairspray
Nail polish remover
Cotton buds
Models Own 3-in-1 clear coat

I started out with my bases, alternating yellow and orange ('Fuzzy Peach', but it's technically orange!) on my nails. Then, while they were drying, I set up my water spotting tools. I used bottled water in a plastic cup, and made sure it was around room temperature. Then I got all of my polishes ready with the lids off, as you have to work quickly!
So here is the dry yellow base of my middle finger. I took the orange nail polish and dripped it into the water, and waited a couple of seconds for it to spread. I swirled the water gently to help with this process, and then when I was ready, I took my hairspray and held it around 10cm away from the cup. I squirted VERY gently, because if you squirt too hard/too much, the nail varnish just shrinks away and turns into a tiny little ball.
I dipped my finger into the water spotted nail varnish, then pulled it out carefully. Sometimes it clings to itself and piles up on your nail, so it's a good idea to have your other hand (or an implement, such as a cocktail stick) ready to catch any residue. I let it dry, and repeated the process with red nail varnish.
So here's the final product. It looks kind of gross prior to the cleaning process... Never mind! I used a cotton bud soaked in nail varnish remover to get rid of the excess, and added a clear top coat to save it from chipping.
As I had alternated the base colours of my nails, the ones with a 'Fuzzy Peach' base received water spotting with yellow and then red. The effect varied between each of my nails, which is perfect for a volcano design, because it looks just like bubbling lava. When they were all dry, I took my fine paintbrush and added the volcano design in black. I think the manicure looks good without the addition of a volcano, but it just seemed too perfect to not attempt. What do you think? Have you ever water spotted your nails?

0 comments: