Vintage Floral Nails: Polkadots & Roses


Hey everyone! I've decided to post the tutorial for the manicure I entered into e.l.f. Cosmetics' Vintage vs. Rock nail art competition. I've managed to make the shortlist for the contest, so I am very excited! (You can find the shortlist here). I know I've previously created tutorials for both polkadots and roses, however this manicure has received so much positive feedback that I think it's worthwhile  to show you the step-by-steps. To be honest, I didn't think much of this mani originally, but it's one of those that grows on you as time passes! Anyway, here's the tutorial...
The equipment:

Sinful Colors 'Easy Going'
Natural Collection 'White'
Models Own 'Grape Juice'
Models Own 'Pastel Pink'
W7 'Purple'
Barry M 'Shocking Pink'
Models Own 'Jade Stone'
Sinful Colors 'Pistache'
No. 7 'Totally Teal'
Medium dotting tool
Fine nail art paint brush
Essie 'Good To Go' rapid dry top coat
My base is Sinful Colors 'Easy Going', which I reviewed in a previous post. I applied 3 coats to ensure a really neat, opaque finish. This shade is perfect for vintage or floral nails, and makes a nice alternative to plain white or cream bases. It is slightly pink but still very subtle, and looks extremely pretty and summery.
Once 'Easy Going' was dry, I used a middle-sized dotting tool (I have a pack of five, all varying in size, which can be found on Amazon with a tiny price tag!), and created white polkadots. I didn't worry too much about uniform sizes and spacing, as I knew I'd be adding more designs over the top.
When I was happy with my polkadot base, I began the roses. I splodged (yes, this is a technically term now :p) the block colours onto my nails, again not worrying too much about shapes, sizes and spacing. Sometimes nail art looks better if it's not too perfect! The pale pink shade is Models Own 'Pastel Pink' and the purple is 'Grape Juice' from their scented collection.
When my splodges were dry I took my fine nail art paintbrush and added petal details. I used the technique that I've blogged about recently, which can be found here. I used Barry M 'Shocking Pink' for the pink roses, and W7 'Purple' for the purple ones. 
Finally I added leaves. I used both Models Own 'Jade Stone' and Sinful Colors 'Pistache' for the bases, and then added No. 7 'Totally Teal' which is a darker green. Once completely dry, I used my brand new Essie purchase, 'Good To Go', which is a fantastic quick-drying top coat. As you probably know, I don't like to spend too much on my nail supplies, but it's aways worthwhile to invest in decent top coats to avoid smudging, chipping or peeling!
*Sourced from Google Images
I bought my 'Good To Go' from Boots for £8.99, which surpassed my usual limit of no-more-than-eight-British-pounds-for-nail-stuff, but I got some points on my Boots card which lessened the blow :)

What do you think of my polkadot & rose nails? I'm crossing my fingers that I win e.l.f.'s competition, however there are quite a few amazing designs in the shortlist so it will be a long shot!

0 comments: