Improved Water Marbling


I had another attempt at water marbling, and this set is sooooo much better. Practise makes perfect, evidently! This time I went for a blue colour scheme (I'm 99% certain I'll wear a blue dress for a night out tomorrow, so I wanted to match). 

The changes:

1. This time I used water in little plastic shot glasses. This is much more 
efficient than using a mug/cup, because you can just chuck them out
afterwards, and you're not left scrubbing away the leftover nail 
varnish for hours!

2. I also began with white canvases this time, as the marbling seems to
 stick better to already-varnished nails. I used 2 coats to ensure a 
bright white base.

3. Glitter was added at the end, because I can't resist a bit of sparkle!


The colours:

Models Own 'In the Navy' (deep navy)
Models Own 'Dream Stream' (clear)
Nails Inc. 'Bling It' (silver glitter)
Models Own 'Feeling Blue' (sky blue)
NYC 'Pinstripe White' (white... obviously)
Fearne 'Cotton Candy' (lilac)



So as you can see, I once again used tepid water and added drips of nail varnish to form consecutive circles.



Next, I used a cocktail stick to swirl the colours into a marbled pattern. You have to do this quite carefully, and it's a good idea to manipulate them in a way that all the shades are incorporated into each area.










With taped nails, I dipped into the marbling. I removed steadily, to avoid any smudging, and then got rid of the excess with a cocktail stick. Once dry, I removed the tape and added a clear topcoat. 


















As you can see, there was still quite a bit of mess on my cuticles and under my nails, so I am still desperate to get my hands on a liquid mask.

















Once I'd cleaned off the rest of the excess using nail varnish remover and cotton buds, I added sprinkles of glitter. This glitter is from a Nails Inc. 'Bling It' set, and I added a few patches of sparkles using another cotton bud. Once again I topped with clear varnish, et voilà! 







This water marbling looks so much better than previous attempt, which I think is owed to my use of a smaller cup, and also more of an idea of how to dip my nails in. Hopefully the next time I try it they'll be even better!

0 comments: