Birdie Nails!


I'm back to the family home for a week or so, and I'm so glad I decided to bring my nail box back with me! Before starting any nail art, I spent a good while cleaning and organising it... 


I got to add a few more varnishes to it as well, since my new stuff from Nail Polish Direct was also waiting for me. I am even more impressed with this company; great prices and speedy delivery makes me a very happy customer. I'll definitely be using them again for my nail varnish needs!

Anyway, after doing my sister's nails for her (fruit for her fingers, pigs for her toes!) I had a hunt around for some sort of inspiration. I found the Mother's Day card I sent to mum this year, and thought it would be a perfect starting point for a set of cute nails.


The equipment:

NYC 'Pinstripe White'
W7 'Sheer Pink'
Models Own 'Feeling Blue'
Models Own 'Jade Stone'
Fearne 'Coral Island'
Rio black nail art pen
Nail art gems
A fine paint brush


So I began with white bases, and used 2 coats to ensure full coverage and brightness. I was intending to use nail tape to make sure the following application of pink lines were completely straight, but then decided to give it a go freehand...









As you can see, the freehand pink lines went quite well. The W7 brushes are really nicely shaped, and make it easy to paint straight. I applied about 2 coats of this varnish too, and then left to dry.


When the base was totally dry, I started to add the basic block shapes. I created a bird's body on my thumb using Fearne 'Coral Island' (really bright, hot pink in real life, despite it looking dull in the photo), and then added flowers and hearts to my other nails. All of these were created using my fine paint brush.














Once these were dry, I added the black details. For my thumb these included a black 'washing line' for the bird to stand on (Mum has since pointed out that it looks more like a branch, but each to their own...), little legs, tail feathers, a beak, a wing, an eye, and a twirl above its head. I also added small black dots falling from the washing line, as it looked so effective on the original card. All black details were applied using my black nail art pen along with a fine paintbrush. I added a few gems to fill in the gaps and add a bit of sparkle!
On my fingers, I continued the washing line across, varying between one and two lines. I added the black dots too, and applied some gems. I really like these nails, especially my little pink birdie. It's a shame my other nails were a bit too small to paint him some friends, but I think when I get bored of my current toes I may have to create a few little multicoloured birds for those! I love finding new stuff to inspire me with nail art, and I think gift cards are ideal.

0 comments: