Corset Babydoll Nails!

Yes I know I've been absolutely rubbish recently, and my nails have most definitely taken a backseat to essays! But in celebration of handing in all my deadlines today, I decided to finally create a design that's been on my mind for a while. I like to think I've 'come back with a bang!', since these nails are the best I've ever done (in my opinion anyway...)

These are Burlesque/Underwear inspired nails, but rather than being risqué, they're all very cute. I used lots and lots of colours for this manicure, so prepare yourselves!

The equipment:

Natural Collection 'White'
Classic red (no brand or shade available I'm afraid)
Models Own 'Blueberry Muffin'
Rimmel 'Azure'
Models Own 'Peach Sherbet'
Models Own 'Fuzzy Peach'
W7 'Black'
Models Own 'Jade Stone'
No. 7 'Totally Teal'
Models Own 'Pastel Pink'
Models Own black nail art pen
Models Own white nail art pen
Models Own 3-in-1 clear coat
A fine paint brush

I also referred to a few sketches. I don't always plan my designs, but when you're doing something like this it helps to have a point of reference for proportions, shapes and colours.
 So I started out with my thumb nail, and applied a white base. I painted a heart shape at the top of my nail, and a curved line at the bottom. Then I joined them together with two more curved lines at the sides, and sharpened off the edges. Finally I filled in the middle. It looks kinda messy at the moment, but once you've added the rest of the design and a top coat it smooths out :)
Then, using my fine paint brush, I applied red sections. I did these gradually to ensure symmetry, and left a shape at the top of the corset for a bra section.
I added red dots to the bra section of the corset, and red frills to the top and bottom. Then I used my black nail art pen to outline the separate sections.
 Finally I added some black dots to the centre of the corset, which I think finishes it off nicely. I didn't bother to use a dotting tool which is why the dots vary in size, but you can hardly tell. If you're bothered about everything being even and symmetrical, then I encourage the use of a tiny dotting tool :)
For my other fingers, I began with the corset bases again. This picture doesn't really do the colours justice, but I used Models Own 'Blueberry Muffin' for my index finger, 'Peach Sherbet' for my middle finger, plain white for my ring finger, and 'Pastel Pink' for my little finger.
I then added 'Azure' to my blue base... It looks messy at the moment, but don't worry, it turns out well in the end! Once my dark blue sections were dry, I added white dots and a criss-cross using my Models Own white nail art pen.
I added lacey bits to the bottom of the corset, then outlined the bra section and around the edges. Finally, I added a bow detail, and finished off the outlining. This process took quite a while as I wanted to keep the lines as narrow as possible.
For my leopard print corset, I blobbed Models Own 'Fuzzy Peach' on the outer sections of the base, and then applied a black middle. Once dry, I created the leopard print, added white buttons and a bow, and then outlined everything.
I applied Models Own 'Jade Stone' to my white bases, and then added details and outlines as before. The darker green is No. 7 'Totally Teal' which complements the Models Own shade nicely!
And this is the final product! As you can see, I finished off outlining on the green corset, and for the pink one I just added a few black details. It's always hard to create a really complex design on such a little nail, but I think the black on pink still looks cute. I admit that I haven't added a clear top coat yet, but I will once I know all the black details are dry (my black nail art pen is a serial smudger!) I also think that these nails would look good on a coloured base, however applying them onto blank nails means that all attention is focused on the patterns and colours :)

It feels so good to get back to painting my nails and blogging! Now that Semester 2 has ended and my module essays are all done and dusted, I can definitely get back to my usual nail arty self.

0 comments: