turquoise & teal dots: inspired by malcolm gladwell's 'blink'

Hi guys! Today I bring you a simple design inspired by the cover of one of my favourite books, Blink: The Power of Thinking without Thinking, by Malcolm Gladwell. I'm not usually one for non-fiction, but this is definitely worth a read. The author explains how our ability to make snap judgements is a lot more effective than cautious decisions, and encourages you to trust your instincts rather than over-thinking things. It basically gets you thinking about thinking... If that makes sense?! Anyway, I've always loved the cover art (I should probably mention it's by 'Kai & Sunny'), so I decided to recreate it via my nails.

I really like the colour combination and the subtle metallic shimmer of the details (you can't really see that in the photo, oooops). Since I'm 'into' dots at the moment, it made sense to paint a simple turquoise and teal pattern using my trusty dotting tool!
 The equipment:

Jacava London 'Chillax'*
Barry M 'Greenberry'
Barry M Limited Edition 'Bright Yellow'
Sinful Colors 'Snow Me White'
Essie 'Matte About You'
Medium sized dotting tool

I used 'Chillax' as a base, apart from my ring finger, which I painted with 'Greenberry'. I have a real thing for accent nails, and my manicures never escape a little bit of mix-and-match or colour swapping! I really recommend Jacava nail polish (you can see my review of the brand here) - it applies beautifully and the finish is always lovely. I used three coats in this manicure, but you can get away with two.
 
When my bases were dry, I used a medium sized dotting tool to apply the curved vine patterns. I only painted small sections on each nail, as I didn't want it to overpower the base. Even though the dots vary in size, I actually only used one dotting tool - I just varied the amount of polish and the pressure when applying. 
When the 'vines' were complete, I added a few more dots in white and yellow. The cover art actually involves some black and red dots too, but I thought this would be too much, and I decided on a more limited palette. When everything was dry, I added a coat of Essie 'Matte About You', which I think pulls everything together. What do you think?

0 comments: