london fashion week day 1: bora aksu

Hi :) I'm sure you're all aware that today saw the launch of London Fashion Week 2013. I know a lot of bloggers have done it before, so I've decided to dedicate my next few posts to the huge fashion event. Today, I've taken inspiration from Bora Aksu's collection, which I fell in love with as soon as it appeared in Vogue's coverage. Aksu made a massive statement this morning with his combinations of bright colours and intricate textiles, all of which are reminiscent of his native Turkey. 


*Images sourced from www.vogue.co.uk/event/london-fashion-week
I decided to use these three outfits as a starting point. Considering the dreary weather at the moment, brightening my fingers up with pretty yellows and baby blues seemed the perfect thing to do! I really like the lace detailing and soft drapes of fabric, along with the cute little ankle socks and grey peep-toe heels.

The equipment:

Sinful Colors 'Unicorn'
Models Own 'Blueberry Muffin'
Models Own 'Utopia'
Rio white nail art pen
Essie 'Matte About You'

I applied four coats of 'Unicorn' to my thumb, middle and little finger nails. I love the cheapness of Sinful Colors polishes, and the variety of shades available, but the consistency is pretty runny and so extra coats are always needed for opacity (especially with pale colours). On my other two nails I used Models Own 'Utopia', which is a must-have for EVERY nail polish collection! It's a beautiful soft grey with a touch of mauve, and is perfect for subtle manicures.

When my bases were dry, I used my Rio white nail art pen and started applying my version of a lace design. I added dots, petals, and a couple of 'random' shapes to my yellow nails, and tried to keep the flow of polish as thin as possible throughout. On my grey nails, I added 'curtains' using Models Own 'Blueberry Muffin' (this was freehanded by the way, because I couldn't be bothered to find my striping tape!). Once dry, I added white dots along the lines.

I'm really into mattiefied nails again, so I finished my manicure with a few slicks of Essie 'Matte About You'. I think the matte effect works really well with soft, pastel designs, and my bottle is quickly running out! I think I'm going to have to go on a nail polish shopping splurge soon...

0 comments: