On Wednesdays We Wear Pink: Dotty Gradients & Sparkles


Hi guys and gals! So I know the title of this post refers to Wednesday, and I'm well aware that it's only Monday, but it seemed like the perfect name for this manicure (plus I didn't want to wait two days to post!) Who doesn't love a good old Mean Girls reference, eh? This design was ridiculously easy to achieve, and I think it looks really effective. I haven't involved photos of the step-by-steps because it's pretty self explanatory... 


The equipment:

Sinful Colors 'Easy Going'
Barry M 'Shocking Pink'
Models Own 'Soda Pop Pink'
e.l.f. 'Dream Maker'
Dotting tool

I started out with base coats of 'Easy Going' and 'Shocking Pink', two extremely different but equally gorgeous shades of pink. I love 'Easy Going' because it's so delicate and creamy, plus it was a bargain at £1.99! 'Shocking Pink' is a really bright fuchsia shade, and I adore it's quick-drying formula and smooth finish. To achieve a good, opaque base I applied 3 coats of the pale pink (typical of all pale colours) and 2 coats of the brighter shade.
Once dry, I took my dotting tool and began adding the dots. On the 'Easy Going' bases I used Models Own 'Soda Pop Pink' along with 'Shocking Pink', and then switched it around for the bright pink bases. I wasn't too fussed about size and spacing - the dots all vary, but I think this makes for a better manicure overall.

I created a gradient effect by arranging the dots closer together at the base (and the top for the 'Shocking Pink' nails), and spaced them out slightly more throughout the pattern. I'm really into gradients at the moment, and I think dotty ones look really cute.

When everything was dry, I topped off my nails with e.l.f. 'Dream Maker', my current favourite glitter polish. A bit of placement was involved, and I tried to make sure the large glitter pieces remained in the close dot areas. The finer bits of glitter add a very subtle sparkle to the end of the gradients, and I think the final effect is really pretty.

As always, I topped off my manicure with Essie 'Good To Go'. It's a really fast drying top coat and also smooths out any suspicious looking areas - I definitely recommend it! What do you think? Have you ever tried a dotty gradient?

0 comments: