Revlon Moon Candy Swatch & Review

For this Swatch & Review I picked a polish from my way-to-big collection.

Revlon Moon Candy is a "nail art" polish. My shade is called Orbit, and includes a slightly matte cream base polish in a dark shade of violet, along with a luminescent glitter in a light purple gel-like base. The glitter is not so much glitter, as it is luminescent shards of particles. When dry they almost resemble pieces of tissue paper.


Revlon Moon Candy Orbit - $10
Sorry about the bottle, the label ripped off when I was applying the polish. It comes in a two sided container, which looks cool, but makes application a little uncomfortable. The brushes bristles are square shaped, Which if you've read my other Swatch & Reviews, you know I prefer domed brushes, but the brush is very flexible, so painting around my cuticles was relatively easy.

Close up of the glitter top coat.
While the glitter looks dense in the bottle, it's actually very hard to get out. One coat applies basically all gel base and no glitter. I had to apply four coats just to get a thin layer. This glitter also clumps, so I had to use the brush to spread the particles quickly before it dried. This top coat doesn't quite glitter as it does glow. In the bottle it contains shades of purple, green, blue, and an almost teal color, but on my nails it mostly appears blue. Only in the right light can I see any of the other colors.

Under a lamp.
With flash.
In sunlight.
For the pictures I used two coats of the dark violet color as my base, with four coats of the glitter top coat. I ended up applying a coat of Sally Hansen Double Duty base & top coat in one over it. Mostly out of habit, and also because of the glitter shards. They create a very bumpy surface, and when dry they actually lift and get caught on things. My hope was that my top coat would prevent this, but it still ended up happening. I finally had to rip off the pieces, which then led to bald spots in the polish. During application I tried to create a slight glitter gradient on most of my fingers, but I am not too happy with the result. The glitter was just too hard to work with.

All in all, I think the idea behind the polish is a good one, but it just doesn't work. The glitter top coat blends too easily into the base, and is just too inconsistent.
I will say that I love the base, it is a very nice dark purple with great coverage and opacity, perfect for the days when you want to wear a nice dark polish, but don't want it to look too gothic. Basically I only use this polish for the base. When it runs out I'm just going to hunt down a dupe of the base color, most likely at a way lower price than $10.

I am willing to try another color of this line, because I feel like one with a lighter base color might work better with the glitter top coat.

Thanks for reading!





Have you tried this polish? What are your thoughts?

(To read my previous Swatch & Reviews click here.)

Follow on Bloglovin

0 comments: