london fashion week day 4: christopher kane

Hi everyone! Today's post is a little bit late... Ooops. Anyway, it's inspired by my favourite LFW designer of Monday, Christopher Kane. I was desperate to find some really bright prints to recreate, since my previous manicures have all been quite muted. While this design still involves pastel shades, the combination of lilac, pale green, nude and metallics makes it a little more eye-catching, and I'm pleased with the result.

*Images sourced from www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/spring-summer-2014
These pieces immediately grabbed my attention, because they're so unusual. I love teardrop shapes and I think they're always really effective, especially when outlined in such a bold manner. At first I planned to apply my base coats and then use acetone to remove the teardrops, so that my natural nails were visible beneath, but that all turned out to be too tricky so I improvised!

The equipment:

Models Own 'Grape Juice'
Models Own 'Bare Beauty'
Sinful Colors 'Pistache'
Rio silver nail art pen
Essie 'Matte About You'
Fine nail art paint brush

I started out with bases, applying two coats of either 'Grape Juice' or 'Pistache' to each nail, and once dry, I used a fine paint brush to apply the teardrops using 'Bare Beauty'. Obviously not all of them are full shapes, so some sections are just the pointed end, or a rounded side. I continued to apply 'Bare Beauty' until each shape had a nice, clean finish, and then I used Essie 'Matte About You'. I knew that a mattified finish would look really cool beneath the metallic polish I'd use next. I thought full outlines would be a bit too much so I improvised, and instead applied little dots of silver using a Rio nail art pen.
This design is pretty simple but I do quite like it. One of the best parts of taking inspiration from the catwalk is the new colour combinations you discover - I would have never thought to use 'Pistache', 'Grape Juice' and 'Bare Beauty' in the same manicure, but it works really well! What do you think?

0 comments: