Petals & Vines: My Take on Flock Patterns

Hi guys! Today I was inspired by the flock designs that have been buzzing around the nail art world recently - I can't remember exactly which artists have been painting these patterns, so unfortunately I can't link, but if you know who I'm talking about, please let me know so I can credit properly. Anyway, I decided to do my own take on the traditional flock designs and create a less repetitive pattern (which made it much easier!) I didn't plan it out, I just started painting, and the whole thing just kind of 'happened'. When I finished, I realised I'd created a mani of petals and vines, with a few bits of glitter for some added sparkle!



The equipment:

Models Own 'Bare Beauty'
Ciaté 'Pepperminty'
Barry M 'Lady'
Models Own black nail art pen
Essie 'Matte About You'
Fine nail art paintbrush
For the bases I used 'Bare Beauty' and 'Pepperminty'. I've never tried Ciaté polishes before, mainly because of the price tag, but I've heard so many good reviews, so you can imagine how excited I was when I spotted the 'Very Colourfoil Manicure' set in TK Maxx for a fabulous £9.99. Along with lots of different coloured foils, glue and a nail wheel, the set included a gorgeous turquoise shade (if you read this blog regularly, you'll know I'm a bit obsessed with turquoise/teal). As well as being a beautiful colour, the polish applied really well, mainly due to the broad - but not too broad - brush. It also only took two coats for opacity, because the formula is of such high quality. I will definitely be purchasing Ciaté polishes again!
Once my bases were dry, I used my Models Own nail art pen to add details. As I said before, I didn't really plan the design, I just painted on some patterns and hoped for the best! Once I was happy with my 'flock' efforts, I used 'Lady' to add a few glittery bits. I've had my eye on the new Barry M 'Textured Effects' collection for a while, and although I really love all of the colours ('Princess' and 'Duchess', to name a couple), I decided to be very kind to my bankcard and only purchased one on a recent visit to Boots... Well done me! 
I used a fine nail art paint brush for the 'Lady' bits (I realise this sounds a bit rude but it's too hilarious to not delete), and each part required two coats to make sure the sparkle really 'pops'. When everything was finished, I topped it off with Essie 'Matte About You'. What do you think?

0 comments: