Milk Tea

I wanted to make a small post today to share my thoughts on a Japanese treat I tried recently, milk tea!
Of course, this experiment was inspired by a Youtube video by sharla in Japan. - Like I've mentioned before, she is a Youtuber from Canada, who lives in Japan, and shares her experiences and thoughts on living there. Her channel is one of my favorites!-
In a recent video she talked about milk tea, which is a popular drink in Japan, and is like a mix of tea, honey, and milk, served over ice. It sounds like a tea version of iced coffee. Ever since I started receiving my Monthly Skoshboxes, I've wanted to try other Japanese treats, so I figured why not try some milk tea! Unfortunately, I could not find the bottled versions she bought, so I had to buy a boxed version on Amazon.

3:15PM Original Milk Tea
I bought 3:15PM brand milk tea from Amazon for around $10. I wanted to try the brands she recommended, but they were much more expensive.


The English was a little lax, but basically I boiled some water, then placed one of the tea bags in a cup. Then I filled the cup with boil (...?) water. I let it sit for five minutes, then I removed the bag with a spoon. Afterwards, I added ice, then left it in the fridge to sit for a bit, because the water was super hot -Duh-.

The tea comes in these cute little packages.
I was sadly disappointed. Maybe it was because I am not really a tea drinker, but I thought it was very bland, and slightly gritty. The flavor was like rice flavored water, and "earth" - a.k.a, dirt :p-. I didn't get any hint of honey or milk, so the name was misleading... I had my mother and brother taste test it too, my mother liked it, but she is an avid tea drinker. My brother agreed with me on the "rice water, and dirt" opinion.

All in all, I think I'm going to pass on milk tea. Luckily I have plenty of other Japanese treats to fall back on.
I would love to visit Japan one day, so maybe then I'll give it another chance, since I could buy the actual mixed drinks they sell there.

Thanks for reading!
Brittany

Have you tried Milk Tea before? Would you? Let me know in the comments.


Follow on Bloglovin

0 comments: