Cult of Skaro Design

Yes, I know the title sounds devious, but this weeks design is actually a Doctor Who inspired design! I have never made a design based off of a TV show before, so I thought it would be really interesting. Plus, as I've mentioned in my "About Me" section, I am a big Doctor Who fan.
 This design was so fun to make, so much so that I was inspired, and now I have a bunch more TV/movie/book inspired designs in the works.


My design is actually inspired by a specific Doctor Who episode - One of my favorites!-, called Army of Ghosts. In this episode we are introduced to the Cult of Skaro, which is an elite group of Daleks whose job it is to study how their enemies think and act, and also to kill said enemies. If your not a Doctor Who fan, Daleks are these squid like creatures who live in these metal machines, and are pretty much bent on destruction of everything that isn't a Dalek.


For my design I focused on the armored machines the Daleks use to get around. There are four members of the Cult of Skaro; Dalek Sec, who uses a black armored machine, and is the leader of the order, then Dalek Caan, Dalek Thay, and Dalek Jast, who use gold plated machines, and are second, third, and fourth in command respectively. Dalek machines are plated with these odd bumps that look like large bolts, so I used nail art gems to create the same effect.
To create this design I applied three coats of Sally Hansen Gilty Pleasure to my pinkie, thumb, and index fingers to represent Daleks Caan, Thay, and Jast. Then used tweezers and dipped my gems into clear polish and applied them in three rows on top of the gold polish.
Next I applied three coats of NYC Black Lace Creme to my middle finger, to represent the leader, Dalek Sec, then applied three rows of black gems.
Lastly, I needed a design for my ring finger, and what's better for a Doctor Who theme than a galaxy design! Having never tried a galaxy design before, I used The Nailasaurus's awesome tutorial. It was really easy to do, and looks amazing. I was shocked how nice it came out on my first try - Though my large star came out a bit messy.-. (You can find The Nailasaurus's tutorial here)
For my galaxy I used Avon Cosmic as my base, then used part of a make-up sponge to apply Avon On Point Blue, and Pure Ice No Means No - Which is a really creepy name for a nail polish, isn't it?-. After the colors dried a bit I used NYC French White Tip to create my stars.
After everything was dry, I applied a coat of my Sally Hansen Double Duty base & top coat in one.




I really loved how this design turned out. Plus it was really fun to make, and fed my total nerd obsession with Doctor Who. I was so sad when I chipped the hell out of it at work, but I plan on making more Doctor Who themed designs in the future.
On a side note: this is going to be one of my last manicures using my trusty Sally Hansen Double Duty top coat, It's turning into goo, so I have replaced it with Revlon Quick Dry Top Coat. I have never tried it before, but I had a coupon, so I decided to give it a go! If you've tried the Revlon top coat before let me know what you thought of it in the comments.

Thanks for reading! I hope you liked my latest design. To check out my previous designs, click here.

If your interested to see what the Cult of Skaro looks like, Wikipedia has some screen shots. I couldn't post a picture because of copyright laws.

Brittany

Are you a Doctor Who fan? What episode is your favorite? Let me know in the comments!

Follow on Bloglovin

0 comments: