Maybelline Drops of Jade Swatch & Review

Today I will be reviewing yet another spur of the moment polish purchase. I was at my local drugstore, shopping for the important things, you know, Revlon Marchesa nail appliques, candy, a good top coat, basically the vital everyday things a girl needs to survive, when I spotted this gem. I have already swatched another polish from this line (You can find it here.), but I wasn't fully satisfied with it, so I figured I'd try another shade. Also, I'm always a sucker for any shade of Mint.

Maybelline Polka Dots Drops of Jade - $4

This polish is a thin, jelly-like polish. It has a light mint base, with black and white particles and hexagons.
I love this shade way more than the previous shade I swatched from this collection called Clearly Spotted, which was black and white particles and hexagons in a clear base (here).
Unlike Clearly Spotted, this polish actually has a tint to the base, so I could easily apply this to bare nails if I wanted a subtle mint tint. The tinted base also lightly covers the previous coats, creating a nice depth. It kind of reminds me of frosting with sprinkles -Though green frosting doesn't sound too appetizing.-. Or a murky lagoon. Frosting, or a lagoon? OK, I need to stop eating cupcakes, and stop watching Creature from the Black Lagoon. 
-Side note: because of that movie, every time a girl trips over nothing and falls in horror movies my family and I will yell "David! David!". If you have no idea what I'm talking about, watch Creature from the Black Lagoon! I love that movie, and the whole series. Though the first one is my favorite.

Below is a close up of the particles. I love the shape and size differences in this formula! It really gives an interesting look, and I like the contrast of the black and white with the mint base. I just wish they would shake up the idea a bit. It seems like almost every polish in this collection is a different base tint, but the same black and white particles. Mix it up Maybelline!

Drops of Jade close up.
For my application I decided to apply a base polish to make the mint a bit more vibrant, so I applied two coats of Covergirl Mint Mojito, which I think is a pretty good color match. I then applied about four coats of Drops of Jade, to really get a bold amount of particles. Like Clearly Spotted, the particles were hard to work with, and clumped a bit. Also, the large hexagons, which I wanted the most, were very hard to get out of the bottle! I had to scoop them out with the brush and place them onto my nails. I found the coverage for this shade was easier than Clearly Spotted, I think that had to do with the mint tint, bald spots were less noticeable.
After I applied the four coats of Drops of Jade, I applied a coat of Sally Hansen Double Duty base & top coat in one.
The finished look is slightly matte, though my top coat added a slight gloss to it. I like the look of it, the light sheen doesn't take away from the interesting texture the particles create.

Drops of Jade under lamp.



Drops of Jade in sunlight.
Drops of Jade with flash.
I really like this polish, I like the look it creates, and the shade of mint. I even received some compliments on it! I feel like if Clearly Spotted had a tinted base like Drops of Jade I would like it more. Though I like both shades, and I think this is a very cool line by Maybelline, and I would recommend trying it. At only $4 a bottle, it is very easy to test out quite a few of them without breaking the bank.

Thanks for reading! To check out my previous Swatch & Reviews click here.
Brittany

What do you think of this polish? Have you tried the Polka Dots line from Maybelline? Let me know in the comments!


Follow on Bloglovin




0 comments: